Robin

¨I had visited many tattoo studios in Thamel. I must say…I was not impressed....I would rather say I was unhappy.....It is not that they are not good.....They are very good....They have very good portfolios. But I had something different in demand….I was looking for something different….an artist good in details and creativity….plus an artist who could give me their creative work in respect to my ideas and wish…¨, said Robin a recent graduate in Master of Business Administration from Homes College, Australia. Currently, he is on a family visit to Nepal. He will fly back on 15th February 2017.

This is the first time I met someone who actually had done a lot of research. He was so confused because there are so many artists and studios in Kathmandu with different charges. Why would not one???? Of course we will be. I was confused at first; where should I go, whom should I talk, how should I talk, how do I approach and so on. There is always a confusion in life. And that´s why we need friends who guide us to the right direction.
Robin consulted his friend (Germany). The friend recommended him to Eros Ink Studio. He did his homework. He looked at the portfolio and Facebook for details including the recent video (TATTOO TIME-LAPSE Eros ink Nepal - music by virtual riot: energy drink). Then he visited the studio. He said, ¨The impressive thing is they (Eros Ink Studio) asked me for my ideas and designs firstly. I felt glad. I also liked their video, too. Besides, their warm professionalism, I really like their price. It is very affordable and their have very good portfolio.¨

Robin is a chef in Australia. He was involved in the restaurant business from the very beginning. He is certified as a chef in Level 4 (Commercial Level). In the near future, he wishes to own his own Fine Dining business. It is not yet decided where he will have it but he will have it, guaranteed. We joked about cooking (Your future wife will be really happy because you will cook delicious food).
¨Is the Lion your first tattoo?¨, I asked him.
¨Yes, it is. I got it last October 2016.…I am glad I got it.¨, he replied gracefully.
¨Why the Lion and not any other?¨. This time I was more curious. I questioned him with a smile.
¨Well........at first I was not sure about it......then I thought about the year 2014 and 2015..It was really hard years.....I changed my stream from Tourism to Management........However, I only paid my bills and never attended any classes......Soon all my friends had passed out and so the juniors....I was lacking behind....At one time I even thought of quitting it....I must say those two years was not a happy one at all…It was like a nightmare…I could not passed my tests especially accounting....I was always weak in it…I did not focus in it because I did not like it all.. ¨, he said and stopped. He logged in his Facebook. He checked his notification and messages. And then he continued.
¨The lion defines my struggles that I faced in 2014 and 2015. I had two options; quit and return or face it like the Lion does. Firstly, I thought of quitting and returning. But my friends stopped me and so my parents did. They motivated and showed me the positive side. And, that´s when I realized why I was born in the Lion year. I felt I was sent there to face the other side of my life. In Nepal, I had nothing to worry about. I had everything. But here, I had nothing. I had to start everything all over again. And so, I decided to stay back and continue my studies…now I have completed with satisfying grades and I am very happy. I have a good job that pays good money, too.¨, he continued joyously.

¨In one sentence, it defines the courage and fight back I had taken to overcome my struggles.¨, he concluded.
His story made me think for a while. Recently, I had planned to go either to Australia or USA for my masters (Finance and Accounting). However, I had stopped going to my consultancy. I do not know why. I was so one-sided. I was completely blank. There was only one thing - Australia or USA, nothing. Then my brother (Germany to Dubai) clarified my doubts. He said, ¨If you think your Daddy is wrong, do you have a guarantee that you will get good job and at the same time complete your studies? Do you think things will be like you think and say?? You must always look into both sides of life. You cannot directly jump into conclusion. I see your desires to study in that countries but we must consider all the factors. I would say, ¨Think about it one more time.¨ Maybe you got other options. Why not try for Europe? They got good education and systems, too. Most importantly, it is cheaper.¨ I must be honest, I was not happy with him at first. Then the next morning, I felt really glad i had spoken to my brother. He just enlightened me.
There was short a silence. It was peaceful for a moment. And then I questioned him again. This time, my voice was much softer than I can imagine but the curiosity level was way high.
¨Where did you ink your lion?¨
¨It was in Australia. I paid way too much. It is very expensive in there. A beginner will charge around $150 per hour while an expert will charge $250 minimum. It cost me around $400 for it. But I am happy. At that time, I did not do any research. I just wanted it, so money did not matter much. But now, I am more rational and specified.¨, he replied with a smile.

¨And what does your Mandala represent?¨
¨To be honest, I do not have the core meaning for it. My friend has one. It is very simple, yet beautiful. I…think....I like it because it is simple, easy to ink and has very beautiful appearance….¨
¨What is your advice to those who wish to study in Australia?¨
¨One must know that it is not easy country to be in. It is very difficult to do two things in balance. You either have to work or study. That´s how it is in Australia…so one must be ready to face any kind of obstacles with confidence and courageously if they wish to study in Australia....and be committed to their decision…¨, shared Robin.

Before our farewell, Robin showed me his hidden tattoo. Its the chef´s hat and knife. It represents his profession and his passion for it. He shared that he wanted it as his first tattoo but was not ready. But today he is because he has been in the profession for long and serves more than 500 customers daily. He is well known as Chef Robin among his colleagues and regular customers who admire his hard-work, warm attitude, passion and curiosity to learn everyday.
From Robin´s story I learned that we must always be ready for the worst situation. And be committed to our decision wisely and courageously. I am happy that he educated me and opened my mind once again for different possibilities.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kurt Cobain (A Tribute To The Legend)

The Artist

Mr Fix It