Styles and Flavors

By Tsering Tenzing Ghale @ Story Of My Tattoo

Beauty is a cruel mistress, is it not?
(From the movie; RocknRolla, Uri)
After I had spent more than $250 unnecessarily in two nights I got broke. $250 is a huge amount in Nepal. Most people away from the cities, hardly makes $20 a month. Like Uri said, ¨Beauty is a cruel mistress, is it not?¨ We will talk about the crazy night in Lake City sometime soon in detail.
Unable to forgive to my own stupidity, I rang Artist Binay Gurung in Kathmandu. You will have to read my previous stories to know about Artist Binay Gurung. He arranged a meeting with young and dynamic artist Akshay Gurung (Artist at Himalayan Ink, Lakeside, Pokhara) for me. Without wasting another minute, I ran to his studio. We were both confused and nervous at first. I did not know what to say. So to make the confusion easier, I took Artist Binay's name. And everything became easier because Artist Binay had already informed artist Akshay about my arrivals and involvement in the Nepalese Tattoo industry as a writer of Story Of my Tattoo. We shared greetings and arranged our meeting later that day after we got to know each other a little better.
Later in the day;
¨Can you tell me a little more how you got into the tattoo industry?¨
¨I was interested in art. However, I had not given much deeper thoughts for it. In time, my brother Rakshay Gurung (currently in Germany) introduced me into it. He is the man behind my success in the tattooing. He took me, trained me and polished my skills. Without him personally, I would not be here. He is an inspirational artist to me. And, my guru.¨
Artist Rakshay will arrive Nepal for the Nepal Tattoo Convention, March 2017.
¨What were you doing before you got into tattoo?¨
¨Well, it is a very funny thing (Laughing). I roamed around and around with friends and sometimes all by myself like any other normal teenage boy. Nothing much in precise. Everyday, I went to college after the class was over, I got on my bike and I went zoom to explore the nature (hills, lakes, forests, hikes, treks and so on….). However, the moment I got into tattoo I did everything in balance; tattoo and tour around when I am free for refreshment because only work makes one dull. Every then and now, I get involved in one or the other thing; sketches, practice-skins or watch my brother inking. I just like this moment and enjoy it a lot. I am really happy what my brother have done for me.¨
¨What were your feelings in the beginning?¨
¨…..In the beginning I took everything a little lighter. But in time, I became more and more serious. The more I got into it the more serious I have become. Today, when I start my work I get completely drawn into it. Now it is like my education; the more you get the more you feel you need to learn and achieve.¨
¨What was your first work?¨
¨It was a tribal design. Not a very big one. It was the same work I got my first payment. My brother gave me the whole amount. He said, ¨This is your achievement. You have it. Go and celebrate with your friends. They will really like it.¨ I did not know what to say to him. My eyes just sparkled. I gave the treat to my friends. They made me happier, too. And from that day onwards, I worked with higher passion and enthusiasm in tattooing that brought happiness not just in me but in my friends and family, too. It became a source of motivation for me...¨
¨What is your most memorable moment in tattooing so far?¨
¨Well…..it is very difficult to point out because everyday is memorable one and every client makes your day a better one. Ahm..(short silence).....There was a Chinese client. It was very different moment I guess. She gave me her ideas and designs. I added some new concepts (lines and dots) into the design. After she saw it, she just said ¨Yes¨. She look very nervous and curios at the same time. I must say, she did not enjoy the needle. Her eyes was never away from the needle. She stared at them like she was running an operation (laughing). She did scream to the needles. However, when the work was done she was really happy. She thanked me with much appreciation and excitement. I guess that was one memorable moment so far. Oh Yes, there was another client, too. He had a dark skin. Every time, I inked him the color spread away. I check the machines from time to time if there was any wrong with them. The machines were all perfect. Since, the color did not stay I stopped the work. Later, I came to know that he had some kind of skin disease or something like that.¨
¨What tattoo do you have on you? Why from that artist particularly?¨
¨It is an Abstract. I got it inked during the International Tattoo Convention by artist Leon Lahm. Currently he is working in Hong Kong. I like his art. There is something special in his work. The abstract tattoo is very simple but complex at the same time. Not everyone can understand it. Some of my friends questions me about it, too. However, only the artist can understand the Abstract tattoos. There is a mind game (Illusion) in Abstract tattoo. It goes with the flow. There is no exact designs for this type of tattoo. It just gets added and added with the flow. Moreover, there is high creativity in this form of art.¨
¨Lastly, what is the level of happiness now and then?¨
¨Ahm...previously I was the only one happy. I asked money from my parents and went to enjoy. But today, I´m happy, my families are happy and so my friends. There is happiness every where; my families and friends are happy because I´m working and I´m happy because I am working with much passion and enthusiasm.¨
Artist Akshay respects every artist and admires their work. He believes that every artists has their own styles and flavors that one can learn from them. Moreover, he credits his achievements to his senior tattoo artists (Nepal especially) who have influenced, inspired, motivated and guided him then and now. One can catch him in the upcoming Nepal Tattoo Convention in March, 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kurt Cobain (A Tribute To The Legend)

The Artist

Mr Fix It