Kurt Cobain (A Tribute To The Legend)

Today, I met Swapnil Shrestha aka Sunny at Bajra Tattoo Studio. He is a guitarist (Rhythm) and a vocalist in Astra Band. They play every Friday and Saturday at La Bella Cafe and Aqua Bar. He has been in the music industry since last 7 years.

¨The struggling phase was very difficult no matter how good you are. You may be the best, yet you have to face the worst. Sometimes, we were not paid at all while other times only our taxi fares or food expense were covered. It was very difficult, more than I sound right now.¨, recalls Swapnil.
Let´s take a short break about music. I saw various tattoos on his body. However, you can see it only if he takes his clothes off. Most of them were a tribute to legendary musicians. I asked him why so many music related tattoos he said, ¨I was born in the music family. My father is a drummer and my mother is vocalist. Sadly, I was not inspired by them. My inspiration comes from somebody else that I have not seen in reality. I want to fill my body with music. My body carries a musical theme. It feels good (Laughing yet serious).¨

Very recently, he got the portraits of Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Elvis Presley. And, the word ¨Never Mind¨ is the name of Nirvana´s second album. ¨It´s my favorite word.¨, he says. He considers Elvis as all time King while Jim Morrison as a psychedelic singer. ¨I could feel the real pain in Kurt Cobain and Janis Joplin´s songs. Both of them sings in such a way that one gets so deep in the song as if its your own story and you are the singer.¨, he shared in a soft pitch voice.

Among all the tats, he calls Kurt Cobain as the masterpiece. He says, ¨I do not call it a portrait. I have not seen anyone with this photo until recently. Normally, portraits only have the face. But I have the whole picture of Kurt Cobain including his hands on the guitar.¨

¨Why this photo and not the others?¨, I asked in surprised. ¨Well, it was this photo that inspired and influenced me. If it was not this photo I don't know where I would have been. Every-time I look at it; it takes me deep into the music world and feel supported. It is like a brush to a painter or an engine to a car.¨, he replied with a smile.
Swapnil believes that Nepalese music is still in the struggling phase. That is why he is planning to have a business sometime soon. ¨I personally do not rely on the music income I earn only. It is good now but not enough. There is no any certainty. It is very hard to survive from the music income. Every musician has a secondary income.¨, he says. He also added that there is less music scope in Nepal compared to other nations. And, so the respect to artists.
¨In the western nation, even a common band can make sufficient money. But, not here in Nepal. In Nepal, you have to be BIG or you are nothing; No name nor Fame. Simply, you are zero.¨, he summarized.
We took a small tea break. We ate fresh cookies with tea. The tea was bit sweet but nice. The puppy loved the cookies. We shared every piece. She made me feel comfortable and confident. I wished I had a puppy of my own.
After we were done with our tea we began with our conversation. It was nothing formal at all. There was no any questions and answers even though I called it an interview. We spoke as if we were at the tea shop. It was a very casual conversation. I noted the key points every-time it came out from Swapnil, crazy right?
In the end, he shared his opinions about tats and artists. He says, ¨It is not necessary to have a tat. But if one wishes, it is one´s own choice. As an artists, having a tat is like a signature. I have not seen any artist without a tat. All my inspirational artists has a tat.¨ His general message is ¨Have a tat but do not regret later after all it was your decision, wasn´t it?¨.
And he added, ¨I only inked in the areas that I can hide them. There could be a turning point in life anytime. It is hard to live with it. Our society still considers people with tats as addicts (tepay). Also in the corporate world, unless the person is a tattoo artists.¨

Findings: James Douglas "Jim" Morrison was an American singer, songwriter, and poet, best remembered as the lead singer of The Doors
Janis Lyn Joplin was an influential American singer of the 1960s; her raw, powerful and uninhibited singing style, combined with her turbulent and emotional lifestyle, made her one of the biggest female stars in her lifetime.
Kurt Donald Cobain formed the band Nirvana with Krist Novoselic in 1987 and established it as part of the Seattle music scene and grunge genre.
Elvis Aaron Presley is regarded as one of the most significant cultural icons of the 20th century, he is often referred to as "the King of Rock and Roll", or simply, "the King".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Artist

Mr Fix It