Lizard

We want to get inked. We love it. But have we ever questioned ourselves; Do we trust a tattoo artist without a tattoo? Few of us must have questioned for sure,isn´t it? Young tattoo artists who began his journey at the age of sixteen shares, ¨As an artist We must know the pain that is temporary. People trust artists who has a tattoo that is visible enough. For example, imagine a doctor without his white-coat? Would anyone trust him to be doctor? Few of us may, but most of us will not. That is the reason why I have tattooed KAL CHAKRA on my neck. First I thought I would have it on my chest. But I decided to have it on my neck that is visible to my clients. Plus they will trust me more. And they have till date.¨

I asked him if there was any other relation between Kal Chakra and him. He replied, ¨It defines my profession and art. It is a symbol that represents and attracts my audiences. And, the rest is religious belief (one will be protected from every disaster from air, water and fire) that I believe.¨

Young Sandeep had inked THE LIZARD on his right thigh, himself. ¨Life is a journey full of mysteries. Only the smart one can adventure it. One need a strong will and confident heart to stand still. The lizard changes its color according to the weather and condition. I learnt that no matter what difficulties we come across, we must face it and overcome it. We must be the lizard, clever enough to survive the heat, cold and rain. Most importantly, the lizard reflects the difficulties and the struggles I had overcome as a teen¨, says Sandeep.

His latest tattoo is the portrait of his wife (Sheela Manandhar) who he calls, ¨The sunshine of my life.¨ He did not refused when I asked if I could use her name in this paper. ¨Yes, sure…I would be happy if you can¨, was his reply. I asked, ¨Why on the right?¨
¨Wife is always right (laughing). She always stood by my side both at good times and difficult times. She is the reason behind my happiness.Having her on my right arm represents my wife is my strength.¨, he said. Moreover, he credits his success to his wife who believes in him and supports him 24*7.
He was very generous, humble, patience and calm. He spoke in the finest tone that I had not heard for so long. I wondered how he had acquired such qualities. Firstly, he laughed out loud when I asked him. And he continued, ¨Well I guess the journey of my life taught me. My life in Dharan was an amazing experience. When I returned to Kathmandu, my parents accepted my decision as a tattoo artist. After that I travelled to other cities to flourish the art. I inked tattoo lovers in Nepalgunj, Biratnagar, Banepa, Hetauda. etc.¨
¨My main aim is to flourish the art. I want to pass a message; tattoo is an art and has deep meanings and messages hidden it. We just have to treasure it. And that is why I want to travel all over Nepal and build a bond between the artists. I am here to extend and pass my knowledge to other emerging artists. My second Nepal tour will begin in few weeks. I am hoping to ink as many people as I can and train young artists outside Kathmandu.¨, he shared.

Whenever we talk about tattoo we say Thamel (Tourist District of Nepal). But young Sandeep believes that tattoo studios are all over the country now. There is at-least one studio in most of the districts. However, people view people with tattoo/tattoos negatively. In order to bring a small change, Sandeep volunteers in rehab centers around Nepal. He visits rehab centers and redo the tattoo of those recovering there. He shared he has been to more than 15 different rehab centers around the country. And, he is happy because people are accepting his small effort especially those in the rehab.
Before we parted our ways, I asked him about his role model. Confidently, he said, ¨Babu Raja Pradhan¨. He informed me that Sir Babu Raja Pradhan is the first tattoo artists and a legend. ¨There was less media coverage on Raja Dai (Brother). To me, he is my guru and some days we will run a program in tribute to his great contribution¨, concluded Sandeep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kurt Cobain (A Tribute To The Legend)

The Artist

Mr Fix It