The Artist

Maybe today´s story is out of track, is it? No, absolutely not. How can you say that? We are on the right track as usual. Yes it is true that Story Of My Tattoo discloses the relationship between the tattoo and it´s owner including the owner background, beliefs, opinions, views, suggestions, profession both current and past, artists and studios, relationships, society, tradition, religious beliefs and many more.
Story Of My Tattoo talks about tattoo artist, too. Why? Is that what you have in mind? A client visits a studio. Their shares their ideas, emotions and feelings to an artists. The artist then does his/her homework. They youtube it....google it...understand their clients. In all, they directly or indirectly get involved in the story even if it´s a tiny dot. The client´s story becomes an artist´s story. Is it not?
Right now, I am with artist Anuz Shahi, Eros Ink Studio. He has been in the industry since the last 1 and half year. Surprisingly, he is the only artist without a tattoo I have met till date. Here is our conversation in the studio. Now, lets listen to what he has to say.
¨Why do not you have a tattoo?¨
¨Well, I am an artist. It is not a compulsion for an artist to have a tattoo. Its enough to ink others. Moreover, It is a completely different thing; Having a collection of arts does not make a person an artist. They are just art lover. Not having a tattoo on me does not mean I am not an artist. To hang an art of other´s and to draw an art are two different thing, completely.¨
¨Has anyone tried to influence you to have one?¨
¨Yes, my friends have tried many times but I have stood strong on my choice. Their belief is that, as an artist one must have a tattoo. It makes you feel the pain that help an artist to perform better and one will know the client´s pain that I disagree completely. There is no relation between the pain an artist experience to that of the client.¨, he answered boldly.
¨Every individual have different sensation. We all feel different level of pain. Some clients want to have more tattoo even though their body is completely covered while some clients feel unconscious after few minutes. ¨, he added.
¨So what is the best way to know the client´s pain in your opinion?¨
¨Well…I study my client´s body language and movements as well as their expression to know their level of pain because we all experience different level of pain, isn´t it? That is why, different artist takes different amount of time to complete the same design, don´t they? Moreover, I take breaks from time to time even if I am not tired so that my client can relax and feel more comfortable. I also interact with my clients during the process that help them to forget the pain. We speak about popular news and topics including celebrities, music, sports, etc.¨
¨Who do you think feels more pain, male or female?¨
¨According to the research females feel less pain biologically (females can control the biggest pain that is giving birth). However, females freak out mostly. I think it is the mental fear that females experience.¨
¨What made you choose this career?¨
¨I was always busy in work. Due to this I could not give a continuity to my art. In addition, I had no idea what I wanted to become. To get experience I joined multiple companies as an intern as well as employee including N-cell. However in time, I realized that my passion was in art. I did a-lot of research. And so on I saved a good amount of money to purchase my own instrument to begin my career as a tattoo artist. Once I had my instruments, I practiced on fake-skins in my house.¨
¨What was your family´s reaction?¨
¨My parents are very supportive. But they were unsecured because I was never stuck to one field. And , my interest and profession was different. For example I was interested in art but I was working in N-cell as an employee. But now, both my interest and profession are in one field i.e. Tattoo Artist.¨
¨What was your first tattoo?¨
¨There was a guy who had noticed my passion in art since the day I started in my home. One day, he had asked me to ink him. I refused with an excuse (I am sorry I do not have an ink) because I was not confident. However, he did not leave me alone. And so I did the cover up with a tribal design.¨
¨What was his reaction?¨
¨Although It was good, I think he felt quite much pain. It was my first time. We have not met after that day (Laughing). Plus, it was the first time I had used a machine on someone…and from that day on-wards I inked my friends one after another. It increased my portfolio, confidence and understanding level, too. Today, all my clients are very happy and respect my work. Plus, I get more clients through my clients..¨
¨Has your clients asked whether you have a tattoo?¨
¨Yes, I have been asked frequently in the starting stage. Sometimes, it was very irritating while other times I felt happy they asked because I get to express my opinion…In the beginning phase, they did not trust me as I was young and my get-up was also simple. But now, my get-up has changed professionally. I have piercing as well as dreadlocks that makes them believe I am a tattoo artist. Now-a-days, hardly clients question me.¨
¨What type of clients do you get?¨
¨Well, mostly random clients stop by. Their preferences are pictures in catalogs or google (tattoo) pictures. Here it is still a fashion to get a tattoo. However, slowly the trend is changing. The number of clients who get meaningful tats are rising.¨
¨So what is your preference?¨
¨I want clients who wants to have a tattoo related to them. I want to ink such designs that carries messages; be portraits or creative designs either way it must be meaningful and artistic….¨
¨Will you get inked in future?¨
¨In time I will have one for sure. However, I will do a-lot of research on the artist who will ink me. And, the design will be my own. But not very soon because my interest keep changing (Laughing out loud) and busy learning new ideas and skills.¨
¨Lastly, who is your role model?¨
¨Ahm…I learnt my basic on you-tube and google because I have not been in an art school. And from a neighbor who was good in sketches. However, I consider Eros Maharjan (Artist from Eros Ink Studio) as my role model. In terms of relationship he is my son-in-law, in terms of age I call him my elder brother while professionally he is my guru. He taught me and always included me in his work. He trained me practically to reach this point which might have taken much longer without his generosity and guidance…¨
¨Thank you! For your time and co-operation. We wish you an awesome journey and hope you have lots of clients flowing daily. We will introduce you to those we meet in this process..¨
¨THANK YOU, too. It is my pleasure. I am glad that I got a chance to express my views and ideas. Please keep doing what you are doing and do not stop. It is a good platform for an artist like myself as well as to the tattoo lovers who can share their stories. I am confident that your effort will bring positive vibe in our industry and society as a whole. Finally, Please do not judge an artist from their get-up but through their portfolio.¨
Here, we cannot judge the book by its cover, can we?. It is not necessary that an artist should have a tattoo. For an example, not every doctor carries a stethoscope. do they? We cannot say a doctor with a gown or stethoscope not a doctor, can we? Of course not, how can we? Likewise, it is not necessary a tattoo artist should have a tattoo to show that he/she is an artist? Moreover, there is no any rule that one must have a tattoo to proof that he/she is an artist. It is not written anywhere that an artist should have a tattoo inked.
Similarly, every artist have a different method to ink, to feel the pain, to know the client, to treat the client, to communicate with the client, to motivate the client, to understand the client and know the client to provide the best service an artist can offer. We can only judge the artist through his work not through his appearance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kurt Cobain (A Tribute To The Legend)

Mr Fix It